June 30, 2022 | 11:35 GMT +7

  • Click to copy
Monday- 09:01, 20/06/2022

Diversifying markets and affirming the image of Vietnamese lychee

(VAN) Lychees from Bac Giang and Hai Duong have been exported to various countries and territories without depending on a fixed market.
Delegates visiting Luc Ngan lychee stall at the Forum. Photo: Pham Hieu.

Delegates visiting Luc Ngan lychee stall at the Forum. Photo: Pham Hieu.

The "messengers" of Vietnamese lychee

On June 16, the Ministry of Information and Communications coordinated with the Bac Giang Provincial People's Committee and the Hai Duong Provincial People's Committee to organize the Forum "Vietnamese lychees go global" in Hanoi as well as introduce its digital exhibition and booths. The Forum aims to discuss solutions in bringing Vietnamese lychee closer to international consumers; it also aims to help consumers around the world to know, understand and conveniently access Vietnamese lychee.

Deputy Minister of Information and Communications Pham Anh Tuan pridefully described Vietnam as a tropical country, with four seasons suitable for fragrant flowers and sweet fruits. Lychee has long become a fruit specialty favored by visitors from far and wide; it has also acted as messenger of peace and friendship; once selected as a key item to serve in international diplomatic activities.

Deputy Minister Pham Anh Tuan added that Vietnam has risen to become a major supplier in the international agricultural product market, contributing to ensuring global food security. This achievement is thanks to the innovation and determination of Vietnam in restructuring the agricultural sector.

However, Mr. Pham Anh Tuan said: "That effort is not enough to bring Vietnamese agricultural products to the world. The question that drives us forward is how to help high-quality Vietnamese agricultural products reach many consumers around the world; what do we need to do to take advantage of opportunities and overcome  trade barriers to expand the export market of agricultural products globally, so that more people around the world may enjoy the unique flavor of Vietnamese agricultural products.

Vietnamese lychee is forecast to have a fruitful season with an output of nearly 320,000 tons in 2022. Photo: Pham Hieu

Vietnamese lychee is forecast to have a fruitful season with an output of nearly 320,000 tons in 2022. Photo: Pham Hieu

According to Mr. Tuan, in addition to internal efforts, it is necessary to have the support and cooperation of partners living and working in Vietnam to achieve the desired goal.

“You are the bridge, the messenger to help us verify the quality, diversity and abundance of Vietnamese agricultural products. We sincerely thank you and pledge that we will do our best to bring the delicious Vietnamese agricultural products to the world, while ensuring quality and safety in consumption", Mr. Tuan emphasized.

Vietnamese lychee is forecast to have a fruitful season with an output of nearly 320,000 tons in 2022. Bac Giang - the largest lychee production area in the country with an area of ​​over 28,300 hectares, is expected to produce nearly 180,000 tons of lychee this year. Meanwhile, Hai Duong province has approximately 9,000 hectares of lychee, and its the harvest is expected to reach 60,000 tons; 100% of the lychee growing area complies with safe production.

Delegates experiencing the Digital Exhibition under Forum 'Vietnamese lychees go global'. Photo: Pham Hieu.

Delegates experiencing the Digital Exhibition under Forum "Vietnamese lychees go global". Photo: Pham Hieu.

Considering the rising shopping needs from modern sales channels, the application of digital transformation is developing and expanding in many aspects of life. Within the framework of the Forum, the "Vietnamese lychees go global" digital exhibition is available at the online address: https://vaithieuexpo.vnexpress.net. It aims to introduce to diplomatic agencies, international organizations, commercial partners, domestic and international businesses, units accompanying the program, as well as domestic and international journalists, reporters on lychee products among other agricultural products.

Diversify markets, avoid putting "put all eggs in one basket"

Vietnamese lychee is currently famous for two growing regions: Thanh Ha (Hai Duong) and Luc Ngan (Bac Giang). Their products are present in overn 30 countries and territories. However, in order to get quality lychee products into fastidious markets, farmers, technicians, businesses and state management agencies must work together to establish a strict and enclosed chain of processes from soil selection, plant care to processing and consumption.

Mr. Phan The Tuan, Vice Chairman of Bac Giang Provincial People's Committee, said that more than 40% of Bac Giang annual lychee production is for export, with the remaining 60% is reserved for the domestic market. Photo:  Pham Hieu.

Mr. Phan The Tuan, Vice Chairman of Bac Giang Provincial People's Committee, said that more than 40% of Bac Giang annual lychee production is for export, with the remaining 60% is reserved for the domestic market. Photo:  Pham Hieu.

According to Mr. Phan The Tuan, these events are very significant and meaningful, contributing to promoting Vietnamese lychees, paticularly those from Bac Giang province, to reach further into the international market. He added that more than 40% of Bac Giang annual lychee production is for export, with the remaining 60% reserved for the domestic market.

Mr. Phan The Tuan said that, Bac Giang has recently raised awareness and directed to promote the planting and care of lychee following VietGAP and GlobalGAP standards to ensure the best quality and  meet the demand of domestic consumption as well as fastidious export markets.

To ensure the export of lychee , Bac Giang has increased production, boosting exports to both traditional and new large potential markets including Japan, the EU, Singapore, and the United States.

“The high quality of this year's lychee, along with thorough promotion and introduction have won the hearts of traders and businesses. Lychee products have also been positively received by consumers around the world, thereby affirming the image and brand of Vietnamese lychee", said Mr. Phan The Tuan.

Vice Chairman of Hai Duong Provincial People's Committee, Mr. Tran Van Quan, said that this year, Lychees from Bac Giang and Hai Duong have been exported to nearly 30 countries and territories without depending on a fixed market. Photo: Pham Hieu.

Vice Chairman of Hai Duong Provincial People's Committee, Mr. Tran Van Quan, said that this year, Lychees from Bac Giang and Hai Duong have been exported to nearly 30 countries and territories without depending on a fixed market. Photo: Pham Hieu.

Mr. Tran Van Quan, said that nature has favored Hai Duong province with lychee fruit - an extremely valuable agricultural product, one of the 10 Vietnamese signature regional products and the best brand of lychee in the world. For many years, Hai Duong has focused on production and prioritized product quality,strictly ensuring technical standards to meet the markets' requirements.

In addition, Hai Duong has organized workshops to promote the consumption of lychee as well as local agricultural products. These workshops are also an opportunity to exchange and provide information, advantages and challenges as well as solutions to obstacles in the production and trading of lychee. Hai Duong' lychee has been well received by the markets, comfortably reaching out to the world market.

Bac Giang's lychee production this year is expected to reach 180,000 tons this year. Photo: Pham Hieu.

Bac Giang's lychee production this year is expected to reach 180,000 tons this year. Photo: Pham Hieu.

“Hai Duong has only focused on a few key markets in the past. This year we have stepped up the production of high-quality lychee that meets standards and it was well received by many markets. Namely, we have exported to nearly 30 markets without being dependent on any fixed ones", said the Vice Chairman of Hai Duong Provincial People's Committee.

50% of Thanh Ha lychee's total output has been harvested, including early lychees such as white lychee and pink lychee. Prices this year are estimated to be 30% higher than that of last year. Traders are currently purchasing lychees for export at the price of 30,000 - 35,000 VND/kg; the price of lychee products as gifts and presents is 35,000 - 40,000 VND/kg", said Mr. Tran Van Quan.

Author: Pham Hieu

Translated by Nguyen Hai Long

New opportunities for the development of organic agriculture

New opportunities for the development of organic agriculture

(VAN) The rising price of chemical fertilizers has forced farmers to apply organic fertilizers to reduce costs. This is the opportunity to promote organic agriculture.

Beef production chain for sustainable integration

Beef production chain for sustainable integration

(VAN) Building a chain that links the production and consumption of safe beef products is a key to help farmers increase profits and develop sustainably.

Farmers pleasant with high-tech shrimp breed VUS LEADER 1/000

Farmers pleasant with high-tech shrimp breed VUS LEADER 1/000

(VAN) Farmers are no longer worried with low salinity or heavy rain but more pleasant when growing shrimp VUS LEADER 1/000 as they can get higher success and profit.

Biosecurity - foundation for the development of the OCOP livestock product chain

Biosecurity - foundation for the development of the OCOP livestock product chain

(VAN) The northeastern province of Quang Ninh has developed livestock production in a sustainable way and applied biosecurity measures to dealing with complicated development of livestock and poultry diseases.

Establishing a national brand for Vietnamese fish sauce

Establishing a national brand for Vietnamese fish sauce

(VAN) In order to sustainably develop the export of domestic goods, it is necessary to diversify, ensure traceability, and monitor food safety.

VN needs to disseminate SPS commitments’ implementation

VN needs to disseminate SPS commitments’ implementation

(VAN) Disseminating of the implementing Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) commitments is very necessary now.

Major irrigation project to the west of the Vam Co River expected to boost agricultural production

Major irrigation project to the west of the Vam Co River expected to boost agricultural production

(VAN) The Irrigation project to the west of Vam Co River that brings water from Dau Tieng lake is expected to bring a fresh change into agricultural production of Tay Ninh Province.

Read more